Les Experts en Immigration

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor his or her spouse, common-law partner or dependent children.

In addition, you can sponsor a family member as part of the family reunification program. You must be able to provide for their essential needs (eg food, clothing and shelter) as well as their financial needs.

There are a few steps for this kind of application: the evaluation of your sponsorship application, a written agreement of support, and a few measures such as the selection certificate and the assessment of the application for permanent residence. The whole procedure takes about 8 to 12 months.

You can sponsor:

  • Spouse – (restrictions apply)
  • Common-law partner – (restrictions apply)
  • Conjugal Partner – (restrictions apply)
  • Dependent Children
  • Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandchildren who are orphans, under 18 years old and who are neither married nor in common-law relationships
  • Another parent of any age or relationship (restrictions apply)

You should note that the sponsored parent will have to undergo a medical examination and a security check in order to comply with the requirements for this application.

As a sponsor, you will be the guarantor of the candidate. In other words, you will be required to sign a written engagement stating you will be personally responsible to provide for their personal needs for a period ranging from 3 to 10 years.

If you sponsored someone as a spouse, the sponsorship engagement that you signed remains in effect for three years after that person becomes a permanent resident, regardless if you two separated or divorced.